I saw WHALES~!!!!!!!!!!

Awoke about 20 minutes before the alarm I had set — in anticipation of getting salty today. It’s been a couple of 3 weeks since my last dive and I was getting the itch. I got up and enjoyed about 30 minutes of quiet before my Queen came stumbling out of the bedroom. Skies were dark and the wind was gusting and I was almost afraid that my dives were going to be cancelled. I have learned though, however, those type of skies do not mean a whole lot here, because they can go from that to gorgeous in a matter of minutes. Time came for me to take off for the west end of the island and the looming black clouds and wind followed me all the way there…… but – by the time I paid for my dives and got my gear loaded, the wind had laid down considerably and the clouds thinned out. While we were loading the boat, another boat coming in to dock yelled and said they had spotted a couple of whales out past all the moored boats. Woo-Hoo~! The group I was in jumped into our boat (there were 2 boats) and headed out. It took less than 10 minutes to spot a large Humpback whale and she had a calf with her. We idled around trying to keep up with her, (you are not allowed to get closer than 100 yards from them [legally]) What a site to see…. I have seen hundreds of videos of them, but this was my first time seeing them in real life……. If I wrote 100,000 words – I could not adequately describe the feelings I felt watching that Mama and her calf. I had goose bumps you could fall over. There were gasps, and oohs and awes, people pointing, laughing, applauding….. it was truly a special moment for everybody on the boat. I did manage some videos and some pictures. The pictures I will put on here – videos will have to go on FB (one of them I put up early because I HAD to share that~!) The other boat caught up to us and we spent the next 45 minutes idling around watching Mama and her calf. Several people bailed into the water to “swim” with them….. I never got what I considered close enough to warrant that swim – so I stayed on board with some of the others. Apparently, the “pro” photographer on the other boat got some ‘nose to nose’ pictures of them — once she gets them loaded – I’ll share them on FB and see if I can steal a couple for here…… We wound up having to cut our 2 dives short because of the time we spent whale watching – but it was worth every.single.second~!!  Mama and her calf finally headed on out to the deep Sea and we watched them swim away……it was an awesome kind of quiet as every one sat and thought about what we had just experienced. It was wonderful. Well, I am already at my 500 words and haven’t even got started on the rest of the day…. so I’m gonna sign off and catch back up to you tomorrow……. (The pictures just do not do justice to the beauty of the occasion)

Good Night Ya’ll  / / / / / / / / / Thankx for stopping in~!

IMG_0095   <—- video

Total Page Visits: 522 - Today Page Visits: 1

Published by


Born in Germany as an Army brat - I moved permanently to the United States about the time I was ready to start school - Dad put to me to work when I turned 13 tearing off roofs and packing shingles.. I did that, DE tasseled corn and bucked hay all the way through high school. After graduation, moved down South for a year or so trying to figure what I wanted to do. Finally came home and joined the Air Force serving almost 5 years - which included a 3 year tour in Germany, where I met my Queen. Came home and started working as a roofer. Economy went to crap and I knew I would not be able to support my growing family the way I wanted to, so I pestered the HR department at General Electric until they hired me. A very quick almost 34 years, 4 Daughters and 9 Grandkids later - here I am .... waiting as patiently as I can, to start the next chapter of our life - romping around in the Caribbean Sea checking out the various islands that we have not been to yet. Holy $hit what a ride~!!!! ;-)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *