Got up bright and early this morning ready for my first ‘long’ day toiling away at manual labor for the first time in well over a year….. before I get in to that, getting up that early allows a chance to watch our beautiful sunrise. I was about 15 minutes late, but still managed to get one decent picture for you. Still battling that stomach thing, so I thought skipping my breakfast would be a good idea…… huge mistake. I forgot just how much energy I require to keep my big a$$ moving, especially when I am manual laboring. Turns out I don’t do that near as good as I used to. DAMMIT EMMIT~! I started out just a couple of minutes after 07:00 by digging a post hole. Now normally I don’t struggle very much with that task (other than not being able to breathe)….. but let me tell you what……. That was the second toughest hole I have ever dug with a post hole digger….. it took me 45 minutes to dig one 24″ deep hole. I have torn up concrete that wasn’t as hard as that hole was~! Whilst battling said hole…. I managed to tear the skid off of two fingers – because my hands have softened up from non participation of such events in quite some time. I stopped and wrapped those fingers (and three others) with electrical tape – in an effort not to make them any worse. The hole is for a flag pole I’m putting up there at Blues. Another 15 minutes and I had the base for the flag pole set. Now just need to wait for the concrete to set up.

Next task was to tear down a couple of sections of fence and rebuild it. It’s a good thing the fence was dang near falling down, because I was spent – that post hole digger whooped up on me something awful. My arms were cramping, my fingers hurt, I could barely hold my hammer….. it was pathetic and painful….. Then I had to dig another post hole….. : -(   I have never dreaded anything so bad in my life. I was pleasantly surprised to find out, the ground was giving way fairly easy to my pain riddled efforts to drive the digger into the ground. Woo-Hooo~!!! Maybe this won’t suck so bad after all!!  Nope – that lasted for about 3″ into the ground….. and got progressively harder as I went down….. for another 25 painful inches. I stayed at it, taking multiple cooling off, trying to breathe, get something to drink breaks, as the sun was getting up there by then and I was dealing with a 98° feel like temperature and not a spot of shade anywhere near where I was working. Once again though – I got her done even though that became the toughest post hole I’ve ever dug. Time to start re-assembling the fence~! Rebuild went much more difficult that I imagined simply because I couldn’t hardly hold anything in my hands. Factor in one instance while trying to drive in a screw, the screw fell over and I drove my cordless screw driver bit into the side of my thumb. The hole it created didn’t hurt near as bad as the force of the driver going into my thumb. More electrical tape~! I got the fence up – but there is some touch up work, but it was 15:30 by then and I was so tired, I didn’t know my own name….. I’ll get it tomorrow after I get the flag pole up. I also understand I may be recruited to help pour concrete tomorrow…… oh goody~~~

Finally back at the house, showered, and patched up, my Queen got me some Mickey D’s for supper. I think my body temperature is almost back down to where it needs to be. Gonna put up some pictures for you and hit the sack. Will hopefully wake up feeling at least good enough to get up out of bed.

Good night Ya’ll …… Thankx for stopping in~!


Total Page Visits: 683 - Today Page Visits: 1

Published by


Born in Germany as an Army brat - I moved permanently to the United States about the time I was ready to start school - Dad put to me to work when I turned 13 tearing off roofs and packing shingles.. I did that, DE tasseled corn and bucked hay all the way through high school. After graduation, moved down South for a year or so trying to figure what I wanted to do. Finally came home and joined the Air Force serving almost 5 years - which included a 3 year tour in Germany, where I met my Queen. Came home and started working as a roofer. Economy went to crap and I knew I would not be able to support my growing family the way I wanted to, so I pestered the HR department at General Electric until they hired me. A very quick almost 34 years, 4 Daughters and 9 Grandkids later - here I am .... waiting as patiently as I can, to start the next chapter of our life - romping around in the Caribbean Sea checking out the various islands that we have not been to yet. Holy $hit what a ride~!!!! ;-)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *