Christmas Turtle Babies~!

Spent Christmas day today lounging. My Queen made us a nice breakfast and we spent the day off and on, on our patio soaking up that wonderful 83+ degrees and those trade winds. We did get run in once by a passing rain shower, but it was gone in under 20 minutes and back to our gorgeous weather. We had plans for the afternoon to have dinner with Shawn and Cynthia, so we showered and cleaned up and took off for the West end of the island. Little did we know we were going to the top of switchback mountain. I thought it was a great drive….. my bride didn’t see it with quite the same enthusiasm I did though 😉 We enjoyed a nice meal Cynthia had prepared for us and then sat out on the porch with them to listen to crickets and frogs chirping while we talked. Soon came time to bid them good evening and give them sometime to themselves…. plus they both have to work in the morning……. Man I love being retired~!! After successfully backing out of their very steep driveway and safely getting my Queen back down the mountain [in the dark] we arrived home, only to find our parking spot filled by some one at the party going on above us. Being Christmas, I decided not to be a butt head and block them in, so I parked in the field across from the complex.

Came in, got into our comfy’s and went out, lit our Christmas palms and had a smoke and listened to the noise above us. I came back in, settled into my nightly routine of checking bank statements and to see we’re still losing our a$$ in the market and then started in on this. I was just gonna write a quick Merry Christmas and post the couple of pictures I had from the day….. as I sat and thought a little bit – I decided another smoke might stir up some creative juices. Guess it’s a good thing I did. As we stood there enjoying the cool night air coming off of the water — I noticed a movement in the glow of the green lights from the palm trees. I walked out a couple of steps to discover a baby turtle~! I brought him back to show Angie and while we were standing there, I noticed another one, and another one, and another one. We had a full blown hatching going on. I think the lights from the party above us had the little guys confused as they were going everywhere. (Party had their outside lights on) I started gathering them up and putting them in my shirt and carting them out to the water. I had just started collecting another shirt full and a couple of our [temporary] neighbors were out on their porch, so I walked up to them and showed them what I had. I knew they had small kids and the kids would get a kick out of it. Kids were called out and soon the beach was filled with giggles. I had them take their shoes off (so no babies got squashed) and showed them how to look for them and what to do when they found them. It didn’t take long before cell phones with flashlights lit, were all over the beach. Some of the folks from the party saw what we were doing and came down and joined in. Everybody seemed to be treating the babies carefully, so I finally came back to the porch and watched everybody.

I don’t normally ‘share‘ that event with anybody – but it is Christmas after all and it just seemed like the right thing to do. Way over my limit now – but that kind of event is hard to cover in a few words….. so I leave it with you now – hoping you had a very Merry Christmas and got to spends lots of time with loved ones~!

Good Night Ya’ll —– Thankx for stopping in~!

View from Shawn and Cynthia’s house

View from Shawn and Cynthia’s house

View from Shawn and Cynthia’s house

View from Shawn and Cynthia’s house – panoramic
Baby Christmas turtle~!
Looking for turtles

There they are~!
A shirt full of turtles~!
Baby turtles everywhere~!!
Everybody came out to help the babies get to the water
Christmas Palms with baby watchers in the background
Total Page Visits: 554 - Today Page Visits: 1

Published by


Born in Germany as an Army brat - I moved permanently to the United States about the time I was ready to start school - Dad put to me to work when I turned 13 tearing off roofs and packing shingles.. I did that, DE tasseled corn and bucked hay all the way through high school. After graduation, moved down South for a year or so trying to figure what I wanted to do. Finally came home and joined the Air Force serving almost 5 years - which included a 3 year tour in Germany, where I met my Queen. Came home and started working as a roofer. Economy went to crap and I knew I would not be able to support my growing family the way I wanted to, so I pestered the HR department at General Electric until they hired me. A very quick almost 34 years, 4 Daughters and 9 Grandkids later - here I am .... waiting as patiently as I can, to start the next chapter of our life - romping around in the Caribbean Sea checking out the various islands that we have not been to yet. Holy $hit what a ride~!!!! ;-)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *