Slow start to a new island….

Woke up to our new island today and REALLY appreciating the conditioned air we have in the apartment~!  My queen’s belly was a little distressed and she was not feeling quite up to snuff, so we hung out in the apartment most of the day. We are also waiting for some maintenance work that was supposed to happen today….. Workers showed up but nothing got done….. promise to return, turned out to be just that… a promise. Got tired of waiting for them to show up and my queen said she wanted to try and eat something – so we drove around until we came across a spot that was actually serving dinner. Apparently on this island, there is kind of a lull between 5:00 – 7:00 in the restaurant business for serving food – as apparently, most employees are getting off of work from their first job, going home, cleaning up a bit and then coming out for their second job. (cooks and servers)   Apparently most residents of the islands hold 2 or 3 jobs. Jeesh- that’s gotta suck~!   Anyhow, found a little spot — I ordered Tuna Meatballs and my queen ordered a Red Snapper. Meals were served promptly (island time promptly) My Tuna was kinda dry (and they were actually what I know as patties)  but had a good taste. Angie’s Snapper was served in traditional island style (entire fish including the eyes). [[ “It’s smiling at us“]]    She was a little taken aback, but launched right into it. She offered me a bite, which she promptly plopped into my hand…. WTF!    I tried it after I laid the piece on my plate and wiped my hand off….. It was delicious~! The place we were at was firing up a big BBQ pit and we were told they start serving steaks, ribs and chicken at 7:00. Probably gonna have to go back and give that a try again – as it smelled heavenly and the gentleman working the grill looked like he knew his way around a BBQ pit.

Came back and  taking it easy so my Queen can recuperate….. hopefully out and about tomorrow to start exploring our new island.

Acknowledgment and a salute to the brave young men and women who were injured or died defending their country during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Total Page Visits: 864 - Today Page Visits: 2

Published by


Born in Germany as an Army brat - I moved permanently to the United States about the time I was ready to start school - Dad put to me to work when I turned 13 tearing off roofs and packing shingles.. I did that, DE tasseled corn and bucked hay all the way through high school. After graduation, moved down South for a year or so trying to figure what I wanted to do. Finally came home and joined the Air Force serving almost 5 years - which included a 3 year tour in Germany, where I met my Queen. Came home and started working as a roofer. Economy went to crap and I knew I would not be able to support my growing family the way I wanted to, so I pestered the HR department at General Electric until they hired me. A very quick almost 34 years, 4 Daughters and 9 Grandkids later - here I am .... waiting as patiently as I can, to start the next chapter of our life - romping around in the Caribbean Sea checking out the various islands that we have not been to yet. Holy $hit what a ride~!!!! ;-)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *